Columbus Township, Luce County, Michigan
Columbus Township, Michigan
|• Supervisor||Jeannie King|
|• Clerk||Donald Leech|
|• Total||143.16 sq mi (370.8 km2)|
|• Land||140.34 sq mi (363.5 km2)|
|• Water||2.82 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|Elevation||863 ft (263 m)|
|• Density||1.45/sq mi (0.56/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626122|
- Danaher is an unincorporated community at  just north of M-28 west of Newberry.
- Laketon is an unincorporated community at  approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) west of McMillan. Laketon was a whistlestop on the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railroad. A post office opened on March 11, 1902, with John M. Carr as its first postmaster. The office closed on May 15, 1913. ,
- McMillan is an unincorporated community at  The settlement began when the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railroad was built through here in 1881. The station was named for James McMillan, then an executive of the railroad and future U.S. Senator from Michigan. McMillan's colleague in the railroad company, John Stoughton Newberry, is the namesake of the village of Newberry, approximately 10 miles (16 km) to the east. A post office was established on April 21, 1882, and the Mc Millan post office, with ZIP Code 49853 serves central Columbus Township as well as much of Lakefield Township to the south and smaller portions of McMillan Township, to the east, and Portage Township to the south of Lakefield in Mackinac County. .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 143.16 square miles (370.78 km2), of which 140.34 square miles (363.48 km2) is land and 2.82 square miles (7.30 km2) (1.97%) is water.
- M-28 runs east–west though a southern portion of the township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 215 people, 99 households, and 63 families residing in the township. The population density was 1.5 per square mile (0.6/km2). There were 307 housing units at an average density of 2.2 per square mile (0.8/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 96.28% White, 1.40% Native American, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.47% of the population.
There were 99 households, out of which 21.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were married couples living together, 2.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.4% were non-families. 31.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.72.
In the township the population was spread out, with 21.4% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 36.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $30,469, and the median income for a family was $33,750. Males had a median income of $32,813 versus $20,000 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,289. About 8.3% of families and 12.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.5% of those under the age of eighteen and 25.0% of those 65 or over.
Community of McMillan along M-28
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Columbus Township, Luce County, Michigan
- "Michigan: 2010 Population and Housing Unit Counts 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). 2010 United States Census. United States Census Bureau. September 2012. p. 31 Michigan. Retrieved April 12, 2020.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Danaher, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Laketon, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: McMillan, Michigan
- McMillan, MI Archived 2008-05-15 at the Wayback Machine, Michigan's Internet Railroad History
- 49853 5-Digit ZCTA, 498 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Tahquamenon River