Peter White (broadcaster)
Blind since birth (as was his elder brother), he attended New College Worcester, which was then known as the Worcester College for the Blind. He was a regular presenter on BBC Radio Solent from the station's launch in 1971 until November 2006, when he was one of several long-serving and well-respected presenters who were sacked in an attempt to improve listener figures.
He currently presents (with others) You and Yours and (since 1974) In Touch (both BBC Radio 4), a programme for blind and partially sighted people, and regularly contributes to other science, news or educational programmes to talk about disabilities. He was the presenter of Channel 4's Same Difference (1987–1989) and Central Television's Link (1989–1991). He was made the BBC's Disability Affairs Correspondent in 1995. He was part of the reporting team for BBC News at the 2008 Beijing games. A column by White for The Guardian 'G2' magazine which appeared on 8 September 2006 provoked many positive responses.
On 13 March 2009 White participated in Radio 4's Stand Up With The Stars, a competition for Red Nose Day 2009 where well-known, serious presenters from Radio 4 (including Evan Davis, Libby Purves and Laurie Taylor, attempted to make and deliver a stand-up comedy routine, mentored by other well-known comedy presenters on Radio 4. He went on to win after a vote from Radio 4 listeners. Much of his routine focused on his blindness and others' perceptions of blind people.
In February 2011, White took part in a 100 km trek across the Kaisut Desert in North Kenya for Comic Relief to raise awareness of individuals in Africa losing their sight to diseases like glaucoma. Despite painful blisters he finished the challenges crossing the line first with Kira Tointon (actress).
Awards and achievements
- 1988 Awarded Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
- 1999 Published an autobiography, See It My Way.
- 2001 Awarded Sony speech Broadcaster of the Year 2001
- 2002 Awarded Viv Bradford Rose Bowl by Warwickshire Association for the Blind
- "BBC Radio 4 - You and Yours - Peter White". BBC. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- White, Peter (8 September 2008). "How funding leads to Paralympic success". www.bbc.co.uk/. BBC. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Peter White: Forget all that rubbish you hear about the horrors of commuting". The Guardian.
- "Stand-Up With The Stars". British Conedy Guide. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "See It My Way: Amazon.co.uk: Peter White: 9780751525472: Books". Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "BBC News - TV AND RADIO - Sony Awards 2001: The winners". Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Award for charity achiever". Coventry Evening Telegraph. Trinity Mirror. 17 September 2002. Retrieved 1 October 2011.